Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Critiquing a Tweeting Richard

Some of you may have heard of a Twitter event that took place Wednesday concerning a certain dwarf who, in the end, brought along another dwarf and Gollum. Yes, Richard, along with James Nesbitt and Andy Serkis, made his (Richard) Twitter debut on The Hobbit site and you could tell it was Richard's first time.

  My critique of Richard's first time on Twitter maybe harsh and hopefully not too crude but it's the only way I can think of it, Wednesday's Twitter event was like a bad date with bad sex with maybe a few good highlights. Hear me out, please.

The night before seemed to be full of wonderful promises that if  I sent in my questions to #AskThorin we would have many answered but like a bad date I had no pick up time or meet time. THAT should've been the first clue it wasn't going to be as good as hoped. So get up Wednesday morning and check Twitter to see if there is now a time. No such luck but you do find that my date will be showing up that morning with a couple of friends. Great. Now don't get me wrong they're nice but you were hoping for something a little more intimate the last thing you want is his friends showing up. So hours pass and I'm waiting for them to show up and when they FINALLY arrive, nothing. Just sit there with crickets chirping in the background is all you get. And it's like now what? Somebody say something. I for one am wanting to tell them to get off their cans and say something. Eventually my dates friends say a couple of things, which is nice but I really want to hear from my date. Actually, I want the other two to leave so it can just be the two of us but it's not going to happen. Well actually they do seem to make them scarce for bit and finally after waiting four hours of nothing, hope springs. But then he's really not finding the right spot no matter how much he tries and I want to help a rapid mass starts come out and some of what you date does isn't half bad once he figures out what to do, but then it's over just as soon as things started going good. It is a case of WHAM! BAM! THANK YOU, MA'AM! Get what he wants and leaves me unsated. And I'm saying what the Hell? Thanks alot Darlin'! You wasted time trying to find the right way to do it and when you finally do it right, it's a friggin' rush job. I love you dearly, but damn that was disappointing.





Yes there were some highlights like wanting to go to Machu Picchu, climb Mt. Everest,that your favorite dessert is chocolate ice cream and that when asked if he likes Depeche Mode's Master and Servant. The last two are really the ones that can set an imagination on fire and mine is still burning with ideas and no outlet. I wish he would have flirted.




So I hope I made some sense to y'all and didn't leave you disappointed like Richard did me.

2 comments:

Threya said...

Guys are like that about most things when it's their first time. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you were let down by Richard's first venture into Twitter-universe. But I think you're being too harsh and your expectations are a bit too high that at this point, no matter what Richard would have done, it would have kept you wanting.

I, too, sat there for almost three hours, and entertained myself with my "date's" friends who did a great job with blonde jokes, talk about grandchildren popping out, and beards growing - and even checked out the fun #askfakethorin hashtag to while away the time.

But there is more to this gig that meets the eye. Warner Bros. or whatever company who made the movie, set up this little tete a tete with Richard, asked fans for questions the day before, and at the last minute said, hey, "we've got two others who are going to be there. Is that okay?" Well, it wasn't exactly okay, but we're raised to be polite and so we say - "okay".

But when the date does happen, the go-between (WB or whoever company released/funded movie) drops the ball. There is no time for this said date, and when they do show up, the go-between announces it a bit too prematurely before the three amigos even have a chance to read and go through the questions that, for the most part, must have some correlation to what they're actually there to do - which is to promote the movie. Between three dates sitting there in front of one laptop, poor planning on the go-between’s part - it was not going to be a win-win situation for anyone till it was too late (three or four hours in) and the date on the other end was left with a bad taste in his/her mouth.

This is no case of ‘wham bam thank you ma’am’ at all - something in the case of Richard I find offensive, even if the term is used tongue in cheek - because he did not get what he wanted and it wasn’t his decision to leave everyone unsated. He did not plan this. He did not court this. It is part of his job, whether he likes it or not.

This morning, when I saw him on Lorraine, I saw how tired he was and probably even had a cold, and also knowing that he probably had flown in from NY the day before does not help satisfy any date expecting too much from someone who’s is only doing his best to please everyone. I also remember his answer on twitter - the words “anxiety of care” which really told me so much about what he is going through.

And those three words pretty much sum up for me how heavy a load this date is carrying because we really are expecting way too much from him. And that isn’t fair for anyone.

March 2020

A March 2020 calendar. Time from time I will post one.